[Rhodes22-list] The Curse of Ethanol

marlangreen at gmail.com marlangreen at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 13:31:40 EDT 2013

Hi all,

I bought my Rhodes last October. Fortunately, it had a very recently
purchased (2011) and little used Mercury 4 stroke. Over the winter I spoke
to several outboard mechanics about the ethanol issue and did some
research. I considered the fuel additive for ethanol, but in the end went a
different direction.

My current approach is to purchase aviation gas from a local regional
airport. It' runs $5 - $7 a gallon and sometimes even a bit higher, but it
has no ethanol in it. I feel like it is worth the money to prevent any
ethanol problems. Some marinas here on the Chesapeake are stocking a
similar gasoline that doesn't have ethanol. It has a specific name, but I
don't remember what it is called. Anyway, I just thought I would pass that
along.

Marlan
s/v Nautisaurus
Mayo, MD & Washington, DC