[Rhodes22-list] The Curse of Ethanol

Lowe, Rob rlowe at vt.edu
Mon Sep 9 14:13:32 EDT 2013

It maybe the ethanol, and maybe it's something else?  I've got the same Yamaha 4 stroke 9.9 and had a world of trouble with it last year, mostly because it sat on the hard for three years prior to that, so I expected trouble.  I rebuilt the carburetor and still had problems getting it to run right.   I finally took it to an engine mechanic who did a real good job cleaning it out and it's run fine ever since.  I use regular ethanol containing gas with some Seafoam fuel stabilizer.  I don't run my carb dry between outings as Mary Lou suggests, but I do at the end of the season.  You can check other components of your fuel system.  Make sure you tank vent is open (I leave mine open all the time), the pickup tube is not blocked (I got some crap in mine that was restricting fuel flow).  Make sure you fuel line is not pinched.  I had one fuel line where the check valve didn't work properly and would not pass fuel correctly until I replace the whole line.  Make sure you're getting a good supply of fuel to the carb.  When you say it ran fine for  20 minutes and then kept cutting out makes me think it's a fuel supply problem, not a fuel quality problem.  Just a guess, but look for something else besides the ethanol.  What ethanol will do is adsorb water that will pool in the bottom of your fuel tank.  Try a new load of gas if needed.  If it's still quitting, it's not the gas quality, but the supply.  My 2 cents. - rob

Oh, and welcome to the list!