[Rhodes22-list] Questions about Restoration

Rob Granger rgranger at sbc.edu
Thu Sep 26 17:49:27 EDT 2013

Hi Rob

I responded to your message but I got a bounce back saying my post was
rejected  (too many attachments I guess)

You had asked what I did to the bottom and about the blue paint.

The Blue was original (too me) and it only looks bad in the photos because
it desperately needs a pressure wash.  On the bottom I used some home-made
caustic paint strip (similar to peel away).  You can see the crusty paste
in one of the photos.   After I got down to bare gel coat, I found a few
cracks and cut them out and repaired them (see photos) and then I filled in
the dings, gouges and blisters with a paste I made of marine grade epoxy
and talc.

Next I got some two part barrier coat from James T. Davis formulated for
water proofing swimming pools.  It was $80 and came in two one-gallon
cans.   Good stuff and was enough to also barrier coat my Balboa 26.  Nice
self leveling, very smooth finish and no amine blush.   I can highly
recommend it.  The red paint on the bottom is two coats of oil based enamel
(Rustoleum).

I hope that answers all your questions....

The other rom

--
Dr. Robert Granger
Department of Chemistry