[Rhodes22-list] Major Problem Minor Repair

Graham Stewart gstewart8 at cogeco.ca
Tue Apr 1 08:58:50 EDT 2014

Chris:
My boat is a 76 and I believe it is  the Continental as well. I bought it in
about 1993 and have been sailing for about 40 years on Lake Ontario. I did
some reworking when I bought the boat as it was really showing its age. All
the ports were leaking and I couldn't afford new ones so  I removed the
ports , cut larger port holes and then covered all three with a single strip
of dark tinted lexan. It looked good but over the years the lexan began to
crack and separate from the cabin. I also rebuilt the interior and redid the
wiring. For 10 years I was restoring a 1960 mahogany outboard boat and
during that time the Rhodes was neglected and just aged with more and more
items that needed attention. Finally I realized that the foredeck was soft
and concluded that the delamination was due to rot in the core. A marine
surveyor who looked at the boat told me that it was not worth trying to
repair not to mention too difficult to repair. I have been working on the
boat for at least three summers (not much gets done in the off season) and I
think two more should do it if I am lucky and don't have any  more health
related interruptions.

Graham