[Rhodes22-list] RC trailer setup

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Sun Aug 31 12:59:58 EDT 2014

I am hoping that someone can tell me what the thickness of the board under
the keel should be for the RC trailer. When I first got the boat the board,
which I doubt was the original one, was a 2x6 but that left too much
pressure on the front of the bunks which in turned deformed the hull. When I
began the restoration I doubled the thickness to 4" to take the pressure off
the bunk and the hull gradually regained its shape but not without many
gelcoat cracks haring formed. Now that I have fixed the damaged areas and am
about to return the boat to the trailer from the lift I would really like to
confirm what the thickness of the plate should be so that I don't re-damage
the hull. That would put me in a foul mood. Later I intend to reinforce the
hull on the inside while the hull is in the proper shape.

I am working from the theory, in the absence of knowledge, that most of the
boat's weight should rest on its keel and the trailer bunks are primarily to
stabilize the load. Does anyone know if that is true or should the bunks
take more or most of the load? If my theory is correct I might fiddle with
the thickness of the keel plate as the boat is lowered onto the trailer to
minimize the weight on the front bunk strut.

Any help with this question would be appreciated very much.

Graham