[Rhodes22-list] Matters of the heart.

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Fri Dec 19 11:49:03 EST 2014

Rummy:

Sorry to hear that you have to go through this. I had this same surgery a
year ago last June. It is not a procedure that I would recommend unless you
need it but once done and with a few months of recovery, you will feel much
better. My surgery was in June and by September I was able to do fairly
light work on the boat - like sanding and painting the deck. Not being able
to lift anything or drive is a frustration as you will feel much better
before the restrictions are lifted. But in the great scheme of things, and
considering what you will have gone through, all that is manageable.

My only advice is to make sure you have a really comfortable recliner at
home. I ended up sleeping in mine for the first month as I was unable to get
out of bed on my own and felt trapped when lying on my back largely unable
to move. In addition I needed to visit the can numerous times in the night
and being able to get up by myself and without disturbing my wife was a
great relief for both of us. Get one that gives you good support, reclines
almost flat and is relatively easy to get out of. I just happened to have
such a chair and often wondered during the first month of recovery how I
would have managed without one and why during the preparation phase no one
ever mentioned this to me.

I expect that you will be back online in short order - like within a week.
Just because your body is sore and weak doesn't mean you mind is as well and
computer work is one of the low exertion things you can do to fight off the
boredom. Waiting to heal is like watching grass grow.  Besides, we need your
constant stream of good advice.

At least this isn't occurring during the sailing season.

I wish you all the best and a speedy recovery. We will all look forward to
your return.

Graham