[Rhodes22-list] deck thickness on older r22?

Graham Stewart gstewart8 at cogeco.ca
Sun Feb 9 18:53:52 EST 2014

Steve:

I have attached a picture of the bow cleat and backing plate that I have
removed from my R22 when I rebuilt the deck. The bolts are 2" while the base
of the cleat is 1/4" and the backing plate is 1/8" for a total of 3/8".
Looking at the traces of caulking on the threads it looks to me like the
deck at that point is 1.25" thick from the top surface of the fibreglass
deck to the surface of the liner. I am not sure what the thickness of the
fibreglass deck and liner are.

You didn't stipulate where on the deck you need the thickness. One think I
learned when I dissected my foredeck to replace the core was that the actual
thickness from inner to outer surfaces varies considerably from one place to
another This variation occurs primarily because the plywood core was not
always attached snugly to either the deck skin or the liner.  There can be
as much as a 1/2" variation in places.  Also the dick fibreglass is thicker
in the solid areas than it is in the non-skid areas. So my advice would be
to leave yourself some wiggle room and assume that the bolts needs to be
15/8" plus the thickness of the hardware and backing plate.  I would go with
2" and cut off any excess.

I would also try to check if the deck skin and liner are snug to the core
before inserting and tightening the new bolts. You might be able to feel any
space using dental picks. It may well be that the liner will flex enough to
fill the space but if the space is significant I think I would try to force
some thickened epoxy into the space and let it become firm but not hard
before tightening the nuts. Some form of backing plate, even a good sized
washer, would definitely be desirable as a nut alone with a small washer
might actually break through the liner in places.

Graham