[Rhodes22-list] Standing rigging thickness

sprocket80 sprocket80 at mail.com
Mon Feb 17 11:01:05 EST 2014

--
Sent from my Android phone with mail.com Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

Dennis <mcneelyd at site-solutions.com> wrote:

Rummy's right - if two masts have the same cross section, a keel stepped
mast is inherently stronger than a deck stepped mast & compression post (as
Rhodes' masts are). To ensure the strength of a deck stepped mast, the
designer may beef up the wall thickness or increase the size of a deck
stepped mast.

If you'd like to blow off the guide and tune your rigging by eye, Ballenger
Spars offers some tuning suggestions at
http://www.ballengerspars.com/mtguide5-97.html. Their comment about shroud
tension is basically that when you're sailing tight to the wind and heeled
over 'bout as far as you're comfortable, the lee shroud should "... appear
to slacken. They can be deflected by hand, but not swinging loose."

Of course, that guideline may not be applicable if you're collecting seaweed
with the spreader when you're "heeled over about as far as you're
comfortable" ;-)

Dennis
Magic Moments
Hanging over the glacier known as the Detroit River