[Rhodes22-list] Reakistic Expectations for Rhodes 22

butterchurn amazingmisterx at gmail.com
Sun Jan 12 00:04:14 EST 2014

I would like to ask the group what I can realistically expect from my Rhodes
22. I was very disappointed last season that I could not make it to the Lake
Erie Islands. There were about 4 foot waves and they caused stress cracks in
my gel-coat all over the boat. Also, I could not hold course. Even with the
tiller held full over I was pushed in the opposite direction of where I
wanted to go unless I motor sailed. The wind was about 12 knots.

I sail on Sandusky Bay with no problems. Am I confined to the bay and more
protected waters?  Was I doing something wrong? What kind of cruising do you
do in your Rhodes?  Are my hopes to cruise to the Erie Islands not
realistic?

Sorry for the questions, but I am trying to get an idea of what I should
realistically expect from my Rhodes.  I love my Rhodes, but i was hoping to
do more with her.

What are your thoughts on my dilemma?