[Rhodes22-list] Sailing Withdrawals

Joe Camp jjcampjr at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 24 10:00:48 EST 2014

Bill:

     You suffer from a common but seldom addressed ailment: "Givashitsitus".  When you care deeply about some activity (givashits) and are deprived of said simple enjoyments, a chemical is produced, probably in a gland somewhere near the rectum, that alters brain's levels of hormone sailatonin.  Perhaps the name of the illness (first identified by Dr Carl Jung in the 1920s) is at the root of the malady's obscurity, ergo our reluctance to dedicate scientific attention to a cure.  The symptoms (as you've so aptly highlighted above) are seasonal, like any flu virus.  And, once the body's core temperature (and the height of the sun) rises, and the skin absorbs a fitting amount of vitamin D, these vexing symptoms should melt away like the vampire fang of ice on your NW corner rain gutter.

     I, myself, caught a pretty potent version of the sickness this year.  It spreads not from sneezing or kissing or tainted toilet seats but through the ubiquitous "web".  Infected sailors launch a campaign of complaint, and "there ya go:" Eve-ry-bo-dy's-got-it!

     There is no treatment for the disease itself no elixir, no shot in the arm or ass that helps. (a few slugs of rum reduce the fever, but it's temporary)  One must wait out the pathogen's eclectic route through the infected psyche and find respite in a knowledge that, like a rum hangover,  it will depart and leave you able to do more than tug on the jib sheet of fancy, as you have been forced to do since the leaves fell.

     Take comfort (if "comfort" we mortals can call it) in the wisdom of Robert Frost, who wrote, "Nothing gold can stay." The good stuff doesn't last forever.  A spring will arrive when you can't launch that yar craft you love, and your sailing career will become a collection of stories and photographs preserved in fond memories (and on the Rhodes 22 Archives).  But, you'll always recognize a good wind and know how to execute a smart jibe.  Today, there is a spring; someday, it will always be your sailing winter.  Ready about!  Hard to Lee!

Joe Camp
s/v John Dawson
Bohemia River, MD
(on the hard) Hatboro PA