[Rhodes22-list] response from Joe

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Fri Jul 11 19:40:56 EDT 2014

First a “thank you” to Rummy for taking this picture and sharing it.   I
always wanted a shot of the boat underway.  A second thank you to the
critical friends who pointed out a number of things I should be aware of.  I
didn’t realize the strain I felt on the tiller was caused by the rudder not
being fully down.   I sometimes skull the boat into my dock and found I got
improved forward motion with the rudder in this position.   Thanks to the
adjustments I can easily move it down to the lowest position under sail.
If I wasn’t there I would agree with those observations about the jib.  It’s
hard to believe that the shape of the jib is concave and not convex as it
looks in the picture.  I was on a port tack in winds forecasted at 10 to 18
mph.  Probably running less than 10 in the picture.
I agree the anchor looks a bit precarious hanging like that especially with
the extra weight of the chain on it.   I wanted to be able to release it
quickly when I anchored.   I would store it on the deck but think it might
interfere with the jib coming across.  Any thoughts?
I lower the topping lift to the level that allows the main to “sally forth”
easily.  I should then release it all the way as some have pointed out.
This was taken in the morning just as I was starting out.  Later in the day,
I let both main and jib out to enjoy those broad reach moments equivalent to
a downhill skier on a double black diamond run.  I had to have both hands on
the tiller at times partly (I know now) due to the high rudder position.
Thanks again for the picture and feedback.  I like the “what’s wrong with
this picture” question for the help and humour it generated.  Joe Riley s/v
Second Wind Lake Hartwell