[Rhodes22-list] New outboard for a Rhodes 22

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Tue Jul 15 17:11:40 EDT 2014

We're thinking of replacing our outboard. What do you all use for your
Rhodes, and how do you like it?

We have a Tohatsu 9.8 that can move the boat at 6 kt flat out, but it's
nearing the end of its life and is giving us some grief. Some things I'm
wondering are:

--Has anyone tried an electric outboard on their Rhodes? We're looking at
the Torqueedo Cruise 4.0 line- pricey, but hopefully will be quieter, smell
better, and require less maintenance

--Does anyone use a more powerful motor (say, a 15 HP), and how fast can
you go? We ran into some pretty severe currents (4+ kt, plus strong
headwinds) coming around Limestone Point and in Rosario Strait yesterday- a
little extra speed would have been handy where we had trouble making
headway.

Thanks!

--Pat Fletcher, *Beagle III*