[Rhodes22-list] Searching the archives and settled step

sprocket80 sprocket80 at mail.com
Tue Mar 4 11:18:13 EST 2014

David,

If it appears you have a structural issue, you should drop the mast to fix the problem correctly. Using shims is just masking the problem and pushing it along. The sagging could be evidence of a bigger problem...but maybe not. I suggest you open the area up and see for sure.

Just my humble opinion.

Todd T.
--
Sent from my Android phone with mail.com Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

James Nichols <jfn302 at yahoo.com> wrote:

David,

I would think that if the block compressed 1/4 in, plastic shims may not
have the resistance to compression that you want.

I would probably jack up the cabin roof enough to lift the post out and set
a 1/4 in stainless or aluminum plate on top of the block, then drive screws
down through it into the block.

As old as my boat is, it doesn't have a stepping post, so I'm not aware of
how the post sits on the block. Does it sit directly on the block or is the
fiberglass flooring covering the block?

If the post sits directly on the block, I would make sure the metal types
for the post and the plate match, if the fiberglass flooring sits on top of
the block and then the post on top of that, then your material of choice
will work. Aluminum being the easier to work with in cutting and drilling.

Have fun,

James