[Rhodes22-list] Searching the archives and settled step >now mast step

cjlowe at sssnet.com cjlowe at sssnet.com
Tue Mar 4 12:52:46 EST 2014

I"ll jump in the boat here,as I'm going to be looking at this repair
sooner or later.It seems to me the common denomanator is the bilge has
filled with water for long periods of time,rotting the stringer under the
compression post allowing everything above the stringer to slowly sink
from loss of  firm foundation. In my case,a pinhole in the side of the cb
trunk filled the bilge. I didn't notice until about mid season,then I
installed a bilge pump, pumping a gallon or two of water out before each
sail,(about twice a week),until the end of the season. The last couple of
sails, I noticed the rigging was pretty loose, especially the inner stays.
This was two years ago. Last year I was slow at getting the boat ready for
water,fixed the leak in the bilge,but did not see much wrong with the
compression post area. Amazing what I'm willing to ignore,to go sailing.
I'm on a small well protected lake with no waves and even thought the boat
dosen't takea beating, I had to tighten the rigging twice last year. By
the end of the season, I could see a sag in the floor. On the up side, no
water in the bilge all season, but the damage is done.
All this has me wondering if this is Butterchurns problem with the
cracking gelcoat in the mast step area.

Jerry Lowe
S/V country rhodes '86

 This problem was mentioned recently and I took note of the posted reply as