[Rhodes22-list] Lighting Rod

James Nichols jfn302 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 10 23:55:16 EDT 2014

There is something else that is shorting out the route between the mast and
the water, not the length of the mast.  High power lines run at 120kV and
only have a meter or two of glass insulating them from the 50 meter steel
tower that the lines are attached to.  The lines and the tower are vastly
larger than the glass insulators so there is no possibility that the 3+
meters (circumference because the lightning will try and travel on the skin
of the material first) of fiberglass on the boat is more than enough to
insulate the mast from the water.

The problem is most likely related to the metal fittings that pierce the
skin of the hull from the mast hull and allow the lightning to get to the
core.  Which if it is like my boat, my core is saturated with water from a
poor repair job on the forward hatch.  That linked with other imperfections
in the hull could lead to lightning finding a path through the boat, however
a well maintained boat that has not had water penetrate into the core would
most likely not have any problems insulating the mast from the water
sufficiently.

Which on a side note, the '71 Rhodes has a balsa core and not a plywood core
like I had originally thought.  I've got most of inside fiberglass skin
peeled off the forward deck on my boat and I'm getting ready to go back with
some nice waterproof ply and oak strips to frame and reinforce the forward
deck.  I'll upload pictures on my previous thread when I get a little
further along.

James