[Rhodes22-list] Rhodes22-list Digest, Vol 3420, Issue 2

Richard MacArthur Richard at MacArthurLawFirm.com
Mon Mar 17 22:36:00 EDT 2014

Please clue me in on this. I don't know the difference between the old centerboard and the diamond version whatever that is. I don't know what kind of centerboard I have in my '88 model either. I do know it was refurbished in or about '98 and I have an idea that something was done to the cb at that time because the cb pendant is blue new looking line. Also the cb cap seems to be sealed with a new looking bedding compound and up to now it has been dry as a bone. I say up to now because when we pulled the boat out last fall we got it on the trailer crooked so that the keel was resting one of the 2x8 guide boards that are supposed to center the boat on the trailer. This would be the same as running aground and would force the cb up. However on the plus side I have let the board all the way down ( vertical -------we keep it on a hoist in the summer ), and I note that it was narrow, like a dagger board. It seems hard to believe that narrow board could be wide enough to hit the cb cap. We put the boat back in the water right away and put it on straight and stored it in a hangar for the winter. In Michigan we check for any water in the bilge when we put the boat away and we put the boat away and did find about 2-3 inches. We hadn't checked the bilge all summer so I don't know if that was from a leak or an accumulation of all the water we used to wash down the boat over the season                          (lots of swallows ). In addition to the bilge there was a lot of water fore  of the toilet bulkhead.

I'm thinking water from the cb wouldn't get through that bulkhead so it would indicate it was rain  or water from the pressure hose we use to clean. It gets in under the hatch.

I don't know how to check for a cb leak other than putting the boat back in the water. I suppose I could put enough water in the bilge to cover the cb cap and then pump it out if no leaks. That would remove the danger of taking too long to get it back on the trailer if it were leaking and possibly sinking.

I have to mention that we did hear a crack when the boat got on crooked but I think it was the 2x8 which we will have to fix when the boats off the trailer.

If we did break the cb seal I suppose the only remedy is to remove the cap bolts and repair. Does Stan sell a a new gasket/seal and bedding compound? If the cap is cracked I assume it can be repaired with fiberglass but will have to be done so that the side that matches the cb is smooth and fits perfectly.

Any thoughts on this? Is the cb wide enough to be forced into the cap? Can we get the necessary parts from Stan?

Sent from my iPad