[Rhodes22-list] Water tank removal and balance

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Thu Mar 27 11:07:50 EDT 2014

Art,

Here's a photo taken a few years back when I had a French Maiden  crew.

Rummy

In a message dated 3/27/2014 10:47:53 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
cover-man at comcast.net writes:

Chris,

You might see if you can get a picture of the  waterline and the stripe
with you at the tiller position.  Your weight,  like the motor weight, will
affect how the boat sits in the water.   Others could do the same so that Stan
could suggest a 'benchmark'.   Rhoadies like pictures.

Now then, I can't remember that the Rumster  has ever posted a selfie for
fleet posterity, Stan either...  This could  be a scary project for the
fleet, imagine a 2014 yearbook (er Gallery of  Fame).

Well, just moving along on another  cover...

Art

Chrissailorman  <chrissailorman at gmail.com> wrote:

>Thank you  Rummy...appreciate your reply. Calculating weight...that's
about 120 lbs.. Not  sure what to look for but I will give it a try and see if
it improves on her  sailing behavior. Considering the weight of my outboard
being on the port I  guess this water weight on starboard will also balance
her out across the  beam.. If I remember correctly I always thought there was
a slight lean to  port while sitting in the slip and often wrote it off to
slight breeze effect  on the rigging..never thought about the tank being
empty.

>You  are a legend in your own time...or is that just Notorious!? BTW...how
is Stan  doing these days?

>Well warm weather this weekend here in NY.  Time to uncover Blue Hawaii
and climb aboard.
>Once again...thank  you
>Chris G(reco)
>
>Sent from my iPad
>
>>  On Mar 27, 2014, at 7:40 AM, R22RumRunner at aol.com wrote:
>>
>> Chris,
>> You won't know until you put her in the water.  Once launched you can
judge
>> by the way she sits in the  water whether or not to add weight. Stan has
>> always  said  that she sails better with weight forward, rather than to
astern.

>> Rummy
>>

>> In a message dated 3/25/2014 8:12:38 P.M. Eastern Daylight  Time,
>> chrissailorman at gmail.com writes:
>>
>> I was  reading a post regarding balance and it's effect on  weather or
lee
>> helm...and the poster was advised to add  ballast, about 200 lbs or so
>> behind
>> the v-berth  near the water tank.... There are times when I have some
>>  trouble
>> in heavier conditions and although there are many  suggestions I  have
read
>> concerning balancing sails,  etc...sitting forward rather than  deep in
the
>> stern, where I  often sit...it occurred to me that I may have  another
>>  variable to consider... Before last season' sailing, I decided to
clean  up
>> my cabin. I rebuilt the counter, removed the sink, and the  water
tank...not
>> considering the effect of water tank  balance...
>> So my  question is, do I need to substitute the  weight of that missing
water
>> or is  this something I can  ignore.. Again I often sail singlehanded. I
have
>> an  86, IMF  with a rather large Genoa, not sure exactly what size. I am
  250
>> lbs...yummy!   I also don't hesitate to sit on the  rail when
necessary.....
>> Have a relatively small outboard. 6  hp, Mercury 4  stroke...
>> As usual, any help would be  welcome!   BTW...close to  60 degrees
Saturday!

http://rhodes-22.1065344.n5.nabble.com/Water-tank-removal-and-balance-tp47731.html