[Rhodes22-list] New Owner - OBM question

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Mon May 26 12:29:06 EDT 2014

I will second the ease of fresh-water flush as something to consider.
After losing a Honda (years ago) to salt in the cooling passages, we
bought a Yamaha specifically because the freshwater flush was so
easy. I think many of them (including Hondas) now come with a more
accessible flush but once you are considering a motor make sure you
can easily flush it. We flush ours after every use.

Our Yamaha is about 5 years old and is a high thrust 8 hp with the
really big prop. Downsides (compared to our old Honda 8 which was
also a high thrust but didn't have the same gearing or as big a prop)
is that the large prop can nick the rudder in a couple of rare
circumstances (can't remember exactly what they were but we came
close) and that it's not quite as maneuverable in tight docking
situations - we don't have the motor to tiller steering. There are a
couple of advantages. We seem to run at lower rpms and the big one
for us was unexpected - in very choppy conditions or when dealing
with powerboat wakes, the prop tends to cavitate and come out of the
water much less than the old Honda.

Our 5 year old Yamaha has had some carburetor issues but these seem
to have been solved by using ethanol-free gas.

If you are truly going to use the motor mostly for getting in and out
of the slip, I'd go with a smaller lighter motor and not worry about
the high thrust. We used to do a lot of weekend overnights. We would
frequently get caught coming back with a long motoring stint either
because of no wind or too much wind on the nose and a schedule. The
Yamaha 8HT (or the closest you can get to it now) is ideal for those
conditions.

Honda also makes a 9.9 "Power Thrust" and Nissan makes a 6hp High
thrust http://www.nissanmarine.com/products/6_4.html.  It's a one
cylinder so you'd want to make sure that it operates smoothly (I'm
told the old Honda 5s had a lot of vibration).

Best of luck.

Mary Lou
1991 R22  Fretless
(recycled 1998)