[Rhodes22-list] Galley counter top question

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Wed Oct 8 12:37:24 EDT 2014

Chuy:
The "bulkhead" is actually just a divider that goes from the base to the
cabin top. The base was attached with brass angle brackets and the top is
attached to strips of teal (about 1" x 1") that is in turn attached to the
cabin top with screws. The inside edge roughly follows the shape of the hull
but is not attached. I made the divider out of 1/2" plywood with a teak
strip on the edge that faces outwards. Both sides were then covered with
white Formica and then the edge was routed with a small rollover bit set so
that the Formica is cut back to expose some teak and the teak edge is
rounded. I did this routing on both sides so I needed to set up the router
bit depth to ensure that the roller had a flat edge to guide it on both
sides. If you round off too much on one side the second side will not have a
flat edge for the guide and the cutback will not be balanced. The 1/2" ply
becomes very rigid when sandwiched between the Formica laminate. The other
advantage of the Formica over paint is that it gives a perfectly smooth and
durable finish.
I have attached a rather poor picture  of a shelf part I made using this
method in case my explanation is confusing,

Graham Stewart
gstewart8 at cogeco.ca
613 389-1737