[Rhodes22-list] Galley counter top question

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Wed Oct 8 13:07:46 EDT 2014

I don't have a built-in stove and really don't want one. I think the cabin
is too small to cook in and we don't want the heat, steam and smell down
there. Usually I do any cooking in the cockpit or if we are at a dock, at a
picnic table or barbeque while my wife would use the galley for things like
cutting vegetables, making sandwiches etc. I have a slim 3-burner propane
camping stove that I store on its edge below the counter. It takes up little
space and when in use is much hotter than alcohol.

Because propane gas is heavier than air a leak will allow the propane gas to
pool in the bilge of a boat waiting to explode with the first spark so
careful precautions are necessary to avoid an explosion at sea that can ruin
your whole weekend. I rarely use the stove on board and never when under
way. When it is necessary to do so I use it in the cockpit and only attach
the gas bottle while I am actually using the stove to cook. I attach it only
when I need to light the burner and detach it as soon as the flame is turned
off. I use a soap and water solution on all joints to check for leaks. I
have seen where some people store their gas bottles (the small disposable
bottles) in a cloth sack that hangs on the stern rail. I would do that if I
had a stern rail. Of course you can also install a gas detector in the bilge
or stick with alcohol.

Graham