[Rhodes22-list] My new toy.... Talk me into saving it

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Thu Oct 30 09:02:36 EDT 2014

Hi Brad:

The deck is a three layer sandwich with plywood as the core in older boats like ours. The fibreglass top deck is fairly thick but the fibreglass liner is very thin. The core is roughly 1" thick. I think the picture of the lag screw jack that I sent yesterday gives you a good cross sectional view of the deck.

Normally both the outer deck skin and the liner are bonded solidly to the core but that might not be the case now. When you drill down go slowly as you do not want to penetrate the liner on the inside of the boat. Otherwise any epoxy that you inject will just pour through and that stuff is too expensive to waste. You should be able to feel when the bit touches the liner as it is much harder than the wood core. You will get the feel for it very quickly.

Fiberglas work is not difficult and is something you will pick up easily. There are few mistakes that cannot be fixed with sanding although that can be a pain in the ass. The one thing to watch is that you mix the resin and hardener thoroughly and in exact proportions. Unhardened epoxy is a mess to remove.

Decide if you are going to use epoxy or polyester resin. Polyester is much cheaper, cures quicker  and is more forgiving in the resin to hardener proportions. By adding more or less hardener you can change the pot life of the mix. Polyester is also much weaker and less moisture resistant than epoxy. Most boat yards prefer to use polyester where expense and time is more important than longevity. I used epoxy as time to cure was never a problem for me - I simply don't work that fast. You always mix the exact amount of hardener specified and control the pot life by using different hardeners. Epoxy will bond to polyester, which is what your boat is made of, but polyester does not bond well to epoxy so you will probably want to stick with one or the other.

Graham

Graham Stewart
gstewart8 at cogeco.ca
613 389-1737