[Rhodes22-list] My new toy.... Talk me into saving it

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Thu Oct 30 10:30:09 EDT 2014

Brad,
   My sister in law gave me a Rhodes 22 , 1987 based in Seattle, five years ago.  It was in bad shape but not as bad as yours.  I trailered down here to Phoenix and have been working on it since then.  I was not retired at the time, so I did not do that much.   The Pop Top was totally gone and I ordered one from Stan at General Boats.  We removed all deck hardware, repaired, replaced and had a few items re-chromed. Some of the cleats would not longer hold, so we removed and replaced.  We sanded, and painted the boat.  Reinstalled the hardware.  The galley had been totally removed and I had no idea what exactly I need to do.  I started to look at the galley and found the flooring had black mold and rut.  I removed all the flooring and reinstalled stringers and replace all the floor.  I installed fiberglass in some areas that need it, lots did.  I put exact foam under the deck and it firmed up the deck.  I installed the foam from the back, not an easy job.  I am now re-wiring, I moved the control panel from the step way to above the galley countertop.  I am now redoing the countertop, I had a lot of help from the pictures I found on the net and also pictures sent to me by fellow Rhodes 22 owners. Stan, at General Boats, is also very helpful.

The ballast was not damaged.  I would say that it is time consuming, costly, and area restrictive. If you have the time, and some extra money you should be able to do the job.  Take your time, ask questions and enjoy it. Make it a hobby not a job.  It you have extra hands around, that sometimes helps but in some cases more hands is not helpful.  Your Tube is very helpful.  There are great videos out there.

But as has been stated already.  Most of these jobs have been done by Rhodes 22 owners.  So there is a lot of advice.  I found that looking at pictures of repairs is most helpful.

Take it nice and easy,
Chuy

---- The Rhodes 22 Email List <rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org> wrote:
> Thanks all for your replies... Todd... If I took another boat hull, I do believe my wife would be standing there with her hands on her hips instead of yours.... :) ..... but thanks anyway....
I'm open to all ideas here on the boat. I have a farm and equipment, so heavy lifting and long term storage should not be a problem. I'm still not sure if I'm going to fix her yet, but here are my main problems I need to tackle.
1. Deck soft and caved in. (thanks for your suggestions so far).
2. Keel area where the concrete is broken up (the good news here is there STILL is standing water in the floor area.
3. Floor repair- not a big deal, unless I want to go teak and holly like one of y'all did!! (which was flat out beautiful by the way)
4. Repairing every fitting... everything seems loose or has a lot of give... I figure they all need backing plates....
I'm up here in Northern Michigan with a long winter ahead of me and have a lot more tools than brains.... this might be fun!! (...I know.... I know...... famous last words.......)
Brad
Brad Bachelor

Marrying an old bachelor is like buying second-hand furniture. -- Helen Rowland 1875-1950, American Journalist