[Rhodes22-list] Rotten Cores

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Fri Oct 31 16:46:52 EDT 2014

I cannot tell you how much I have learned in the last three days!! I thank all of you for your help. Graham, your's and Rummy's explanations (along with the others) were amazing, and it really kept me looking at the possibilities for the Rhodes.
I am afraid this beast is too far gone though, but what you did was get me to appreciate what I had in my Newport 214!! Solid fiberglass deck (no core) sound hull and keel (with a couple exceptions). The main problem with the 214 is it's fittings are extremely light weight (2 sidestays, 1 forestay, no back stays). I was looking for a boat to sail the Keys in with a little bit of safety built in, this boat didn't have it.
My plan now is to kind of merge the two boats together into one. I think adding stays to the mast will help, along with a couple of things to make sailing easier.... Here comes the Newport Continental!!
I put out there, that there might be parts available, but I'm not sure what yet.... Here's what I'm thinking right now...
Definitely will keep- winches, jib tracks, stays, cabin chain plates, cleats, cam cleat, clam cleats, pintles and gudgeons, cooler
Maybe will keep-Mast, boom, sails, mast step, sink, pump, water tank, 70's portapottie (...lime green and all....), bow windows
Won't keep- Pop top and hardware, rudder, centerboard (I was told it was replaced with a new diamond model, but have not seen it yet), trailer, window frames
Richard, let me know if you need an answer on the sails, I have to do some geometry measurements on the masts to even see if they will work... Its snowing here now, I'm not feelin like measuring.....
....am I still allowed to visit if the boat is half Rhodes????
Brad Bachelor

Marrying an old bachelor is like buying second-hand furniture. -- Helen Rowland 1875-1950, American Journalist