[Rhodes22-list] Boat Hoist vs Bad Ramps

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Tue Sep 2 11:17:42 EDT 2014

When I raised my boat on my own lift I put straps fore and aft of the keel.
That divides the boat nicely into thirds and puts the straps under what is
probably the strongest part of the hull.

As for raising the mast on the water, I always do that as the ramp I use has
too many overhead obstructions. Obviously it is best to do so in calm
situations but otherwise it really is not more difficult and in some
respects easier than when on land. For one thing you and your helper can
step off the boat onto the dock rather than climb a ladder to get around,
reach tools etc. and, if you have a furling gear that needs to be managed
without too much bend, you can drop the free end into the water while the
mast is raised. At least that works for my older model where the mast is
raised from the front.

Graham