[Rhodes22-list] Boat doesn't come up into wind

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Tue Sep 9 08:13:37 EDT 2014

Very clear, concise explanation Dennis. Made me realize my response
needed a clarification.

My San Juan 22 has a slight weather helm on a close reach/beat so to
get it to sail by itself (while I go below to make a sandwich or just
relax and enjoy the sail) , I lock the tiller - sometimes takes a
couple of tries to get right pressure/angle.. It's a bit magical to
watch it automatically head up in puffs and fall off in lulls. Only
works for a range of wind speeds/waves. This would never work if it
had a lee helm.

My Nonsuch 30, a catboat sail rig (with modern underbody), could do
same thing even though only a single sail.

Brooks