[Rhodes22-list] Boat doesn't come up into wind

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Tue Sep 9 16:46:16 EDT 2014

I have heard of people tying a 20' nylon strap or line to the stopper knot on their mainsheet then to a gate shackle (can be released under pressure) which hooks to your lifejacket, and thus forming a jackline that will also release the mainsheet cleat.  If you fell over the mainsheet would (should) release from the cleat, then the boat would fall off the wind and jibe.  Then your resistance in the water would pull the main taught and with any luck put the boat in irons when it rounded up.
Either that or it would run over you, crush you and then drag your lifeless shell to shore somewhere so your wife can get her insurance $!

Bob