[Rhodes22-list] Rhodes 22 Setup Video

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Fri Sep 26 09:17:40 EDT 2014

I am now forced to explain and therefore expose more of my failings as a
fledgling sailor. Although I have been in the same room with engineers, I
have never claimed to be one.

Alas, the perfectly written Mast Hoist Manual was in hand when I committed
several errors. Please keep in mind when we purchased our Rhodes, the only
shroud I was familiar with was in Turin and a "stay" was a command for the
dog.

This is what I learned:

When the two lower rear shrouds are attached to the mast hoist crank in
preparation to lift the mast, the now empty stays look like the perfect
place to connect the two UPPER shrouds. Yes, yes, I understand they are
supposed to be connected to the outer stays, but I mistook the inner stays
for the outer stays.

I can assure you with confidence that when the two upper shrouds are
attached to the incorrect stays, the mast WILL fall sideways far enough to
bend the mast step, but not quite far enough to hit the $250,000 yacht that
was parked abeam. I thought I was doomed until the mast abruptly stopped
about 3' from some expensive looking electronic doodads on the yacht.

Error number two was attempting the operation alone, in an empty marina,
with the sun going down. So I simply gave up, went home, changed my shorts
and spent the week memorizing the manual before attempting the operation
again.  Back at the marina the following Saturday, now with the Captain, I
re-checked all the connections for the fiftieth time. It's then I spied the
unused outer stays gleaming in the sunlight. Ok, maybe it was the Captain
who innocently pointed at them and asked what they were for, but that's not
the point.

With the upper shrouds now correctly connected to the outer stays, the mast
went right up as advertised. So no worries folks - all is now under control
with the mast hoisting!  Seeing Ted's neat video and the ease at which he
winched, brought my fumble back to mind.

I hope you have all just had a "Boy, I'm glad I'm smarter than that guy"
moment. If so, my efforts have not been in vain.

Marc B.
s/v Baby Steps
Soon to be home in Westminster, MA.