[Rhodes22-list] Inspecting V-berth area for water

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Sat Apr 11 11:28:20 EDT 2015

Brooks:
Given you experience with the leaking gasket and the fact that there is
still some minor leakage after tightening the bolts, I think I would be
inclined to take the cap off, reform the gasket, check for smooth matching
surfaces and then reinstall. I don't think it should take excessive pressure
on the bolts to stop leakage nor would that be desirable, and I would worry
that even a small amount of leakage might increase with time. The fact that
it leaked badly at one point raises the possibility that foreign material is
lodged in the joint and as it decomposes the leak might intensify.

>From what I have read, but never tried, (others with direct experience might
weigh in here) a neoprene gasket can be reformed by boiling it in water for
a few minutes or possibly leaving it in a hot sun for awhile. At any rate,
assuring myself that the surfaces of the housing and the cap are smooth (no
pits or bumps) and the gasket is seated properly and the bolts are tightened
evenly and in a pattern working from the centre to the ends, would give me
some peace of mind.

Graham