[Rhodes22-list] Docking and anchor lines

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Tue Apr 21 16:49:01 EDT 2015

Hi Mary Lou,

Your anchor is part of your safety equipment.  The CG inspects that your
safety equipment (anchor, flares, throwable flotation, radio, etc) is
stowed so it is available for immediate use in an emergency.

On the open water of Lake Erie where I was inspected, not even Spiderman
could carry your bag forward in rock 'n roll emergency conditions of 5 foot
waves and 20 knot winds.  And for an R22, that bag should contain at least
a 15 lb anchor with 30 feet of chain.

I agree the tackle box is not ideal.  In fact, the Coasty almost sent me to
school because it took me only half your 45 seconds to fish out my anchor
rode bitter end and tie it to the bow cleat.  So now I have a leader line
attaching the rode to an eye bolt through the tackle box lid.  The line is
also tied to the end of the chain.  By opening the lid, the leader line
pulls everything out so I can quckly cleat the rode and shackle the chain
to the anchor.  All within 45 seconds, plus throw the anchor while safely
seated in the bow pulpit.

Regards,

Rick