[Rhodes22-list] Chris' Bahamian Adventure

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Wed Aug 12 21:43:52 EDT 2015

Hey Bahama Bill,
                     That would be great if you could come.  I know the
Sapona, even recovered part of a 3.25" air to ground rocket.  The wreck I
am interested in is on another island.  There are no surface indications of
the wreck.  But in a particular formation on a small islet I found bronze
fittings, very old blackened wood, and some 14th century Ming pottery
fragments.  Had to quit after a few hours but I have no doubt there is more
stuff to find and perhaps be able to date the artifacts and wreck.  My
thought was it was part of the Manila fleet that transshipped from Acapulco
to the east coast of Mexico.  However, I read an intriguing book "1434" by
Gavin Mense a few years ago and the wreck might prove even more interesting
than just an old Spanish treasure wreck.  See if you can find the book and
read it, especially the part dealing with the Caribbean and the Bahamas.
So lets see what happens with the trip it would be a first in the Rhodes
history of adventures.

Chris G