[Rhodes22-list] Cockpit seat drainage.

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Wed Aug 19 13:24:18 EDT 2015

Mike and all,

My Rhodes is a 1974 and has had drain holes  drilled it it for at least 16 years without any issues other that dry seats and no mold. It has been in Arizona so freezing  or delaminating has not been a big issue. We do not get much rain but when it comes it is named the "monsoon". Our lakes get really windy fast with the heat and funneling canyon effect creating 30 to 60mph gust in minutes. You can go from nice gentle 10mph wind with a light chop to 5 foot plus confused waves in  less than 10 minutes. I have had waves break over the side and lots of wind blown spray and it just drains out without issues. I do have a 750 gpm bilge pump that has been seriously tested on a couple of occasions in wild waves that rebound off the narrow canyon walls.
Even in a  42 year old hull, I am have been comfortable and confident that  we would be ok. I have witnessed some new and bigger boats with different hull designs get really worked over in these spun up waves. I have had some dialog about bolts and mast attachments being firmly bolted versus pulling out. I have opted for a stay in place approach during my rebuild. It seems to have paid off.

Fred Haag
Phoenix

Fred

Sent from AT&T Mail on Android