[Rhodes22-list] Mast up or down for named storm

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Fri Aug 28 09:33:02 EDT 2015

I would leave it mast down if high winds are expected. With the mast
up, the mast, the jib and the little bit of main that shows create
quite a bit of windage.

If the boat is on stands I would make sure that the stands are
chained together properly and that the boat/stands are anchored
against the wind. Also make sure that the cockpit drains are clear
and not likely to be clogged by debris.

If surge is predicted, I would move the boat to higher ground.

We have left our boat in a protected slip for a Cat 1 dying to a
tropical storm. We removed the jib, wrapped the bit of main that
shows around the mast and taped it (covered all the edges) with
rigging tape so the wind couldn't catch it. We ended up not getting
the expected winds but we are cautious and always prepare for the
worst. Anything above a Cat 1, we have hauled the boat and moved the
boat to higher ground. We also hauled for Isabel which was a tropical
storm by the time it reached the upper Chesapeake but it went right
up the western shore holding all the water in the Bay - we had a six
foot storm surge. the boat was on high ground in the boatyard. Water
came up above the middle of the tires on the trailer. It didn't float
but we didn't have the boat tied to the trailer - much more and the
boat would have floated off.

Good luck!
Mary Lou