[Rhodes22-list] Mast up or down for named storm

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Fri Aug 28 18:48:40 EDT 2015

Having done many a repair on fences,  most fences aren't as well anchored as we would hope.

With that said,  Mike's point of anchoring the boat is well founded.

I would secure the boat to the trailer and then tie the trailer to your anchor point with a little slack.  That way,  if the boat does have to float it has two or three feet it can lift up but not wander off.

Tying it securely to the anchor with out any ability to move will just have the boat tear out the anchor due to lifting force of the boats buoyancy.

Two or three feet of slack should be sufficient for five to six feet worth of water under the boat on the trailer.  Not many storms have achieved that much storm surge.

If you are lucky, your marina will have tie downs like mine does. Every shot in the yard has a concrete anchor on each side at the mid point and two sets for the larger boats.

I'm thinking that they won't handle a direct hit from a tornado (in Kansas) but they will probably handle a near miss.

James Nichols

'71 Rhodes Continental

Still unnamed.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android