[Rhodes22-list] Rummy

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Sat Aug 29 09:33:50 EDT 2015

I don't believe that he is gone!  Say it ain't so.

He replied to me just last Saturday morning about his experience with
battery terminals saying that he was delayed in getting back to me because
he had poor internet while on vacation.  That may very well have been his
final contribution to "da list".

At times, Rummy and I had different opinions about how to maintain or repair
our Rhodes 22s but he always vigorously defended his choices, occasionally
changing mine.  In the end, we agreed, either solution would have been just
as good.  He provided sage advice to anyone on the list who had a question,
whether a newbie or an accomplished sailor.  If he was pushed to accept
compensation for his efforts to help another Rhodie, he would ask only for a
bottle of his Mt. Gay as payment in full.  It was his generosity and free
interchange of ideas that built my great respect for a person I feel
privileged to call a friend.

I am pleased to have known him for so many years even though we never met in
person.  We had talked about getting together at the lake many times.  He
needed more Rhodies at Hartwell and could not understand why I continue to
accept a much shorter sailing season up north.  Unfortunately, my work got
in the way of life and I never made the trip.  Life is too short to put off
the really important things.

My heart goes out to his family.  They are in my thoughts and prayers.  I
pray that Rummy will always have plenty of water under his keel, fair winds
in his sails and a glass of Mt. Gay in his hand, wherever he may wonder.

Mike
s/v Windlass ('91)
Nissequogue River, NY