[Rhodes22-list] Bilge pump

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Mon Aug 31 11:43:35 EDT 2015

Bob:
     I developed a water problem a few years ago and wound up with water above the cabin sole one time. It turned out to be nothing to do with the cockpit drains, but a leak in a starboard port, which I resealed. But I installed the bilge pump nonetheless.  I feel better now.  Stan said, "no bilge pump," when I inquired.  Under perfect circumstances, no bilge pump is needed. But "perfect conditions" is an illusion, like control of your life. (control of your wife)

     The pump you need is small, and you can epoxy it to the inside of the hull under your bilge access in the cabin. I'd get a separate float switch and not rely on the models with internal switches. Epoxy the switch right onto the hull beside the pump. For a year, I ran the hose right into my sink when I left the boat on the hook. Now, I have it plumbed under the galley and into the sink drain. The boat's been dry since I installed it.  It's insurance.  You only  need it when you need it.  Wire it directly to the battery with a fuse in line. That way there's no switch to forget to activate.  Remember Rummy!
Joe Camp
s/v John Dawson
Bohemia River, MD