[Rhodes22-list] Florida Keys

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Tue Dec 15 21:49:26 EST 2015

Ted:  We sailed down the west coast of Florida, across Florida Bay to Marathon (Boot Key Harbor) where there is an extensive mooring field probably pretty full this time of the year with snowbirds; however, there is ample anchoring space as well.  We went from there down to Key West in the Hawk Channel, which allows you to drop into Bahia Honda for a neat swim or to spend a night or two.  There is a marina there as well.  On our trip back we followed the same route - the Hawk Channel - to Marathon.  As the weather was getting sloppy we slipped over to Florida Bay and made the run on the Bay Side up to Biscayne Bay.  There are several marinas along the route and many places to anchor, especially for the R22.  Biscayne Bay also has numerous marinas, many small and medium size keys on the east side.  Don't miss Elliott Key and especially Boca Chita.  On up Biscayne Bay there are two (actually many more) harbors to rest up in: No Name Harbor (pump out and acceptable, but not great, restaurant.  Gets very busy on the weekend.) and Hurricane Hole (Harbor, which gives you a great look at some very high dollar homes and a bit quieter as the residents don't appreciate loud noise).  Another great place to anchor is Marine Stadium; however, if the weather is good, anchor outside of Hurricane Hole and be "wow'ed" by the lights of Miami as night falls.  Again, on the weekend, the places close to Miami, including Elliott Key and Boca Chita are busy and loud; however, if the weather is good, anchoring off of Elliott Key works well.

The west side of the Biscayne Bay has tons of marinas some quiet and others busy.  Homestead quiet and Dinner Key busy, but worth a stop:  Showers, washing machines, and a short walk to Coconut Grove trendy area with lots of restaurants, shops, etc.

I used West Marine Charts for the lower, middle, and upper Keys and Miami to Key Largo and found them to be very useful in addition to the old GPS Garmin 173.

Have a ball!

Bob of the R22 "NoKaOi 3"

Sent from my iPad