[Rhodes22-list] New Joint of Deck and Hull

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Thu Feb 5 23:20:48 EST 2015

   The deck to hull joint should not flex. The article which someone
   linked outlined that 5200, closely spaced bolts and glass was the best
   method. I agree with the author, but of you want to do it "half fast",
   seal with a never hardening sealer, put the rivets back in and just
   hide them with the rub rail. Done and done.
   Too bad Roger Pihlara left the list.
   Todd T.
   --
   Sent from my Android phone with [1]mail.com Mail. Please excuse my
   brevity.

   The Rhodes 22 Email List <rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org> wrote:

     Chuy:
     Good summary and sorry to be part of the confusion.
     If it helps to sort out he confusing advice, I think that the
     options of
     glassing or using 5200 (or equivalent) might not be all that
     different in
     the end. They claim that 5200 is as strong as the glass - although
     that
     would depend on whether it is applied properly - and using glass
     would also
     as strong as the hull and deck if is of sufficient thickness. 5200
     is more
     flexible than glass but with bolts every foot or so, the flex would
     be
     minimal, if any, anyway.
     With glass you should be able to get away with fewer bolts. I
     consulted with
     a master boat restoration person on this point who told me I should
     use a
     bolt every 4 feet! That seemed very far spaced to me so I will
     probably use
     a bolt about every 18" to be safe.
     If you can get rid of the existing sealant and get a good quantity
     of the
     new sealant deep into the join, then go with that option. If you
     can't get
     adequate sealant into the join or if it cures faster than you can
     apply the
     bolts, or possibly, if you want to avoid removing the rub rail,
     then you
     might want to go the route of the glass - providing you have good
     access to
     the join on the inside of the boat. Of course, these approaches are
     not
     mutually exclusive either. In fact, I plan to use the sealant and
     more
     closely-spaced bolts on the back quarter and transom.
     Either way, I think you will end up with a good and permanent fix.
     Which
     method you choose should be guided by the materials you feel most
     comfortable using and which method offers greatest access to the
     join rather
     than be too concerned about which is "better".
     Just do what you think will be most achievable and feasible under
     your
     circumstance. Either way I think the fix will be good and
     permanent.
     Graham