[Rhodes22-list] Nav Software for Android

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Thu Jan 8 17:43:29 EST 2015

I just purchased a Delorme inReach so that my wife and family can track me, and communicate with me as I sail across the gulf next week.

It allows you to use a software on an iOS or Android device called Earthmate. From my initial inspection,  this software looks rock solid and you can download new charts from anywhere through a Bluetooth connection to the inReach device.

It also offers an an SOS feature similar to an ERIPB, except the communication with the dispatcher is two way via texts.

There is a subscription fee but you can get a month to month plan for a slightly higher monthly price so you don't get locked into paying for a year if you only need it for a couple months at a time.

The only issue I have with it so far is the text entry is a bit awkward,  but toy can send and receive texts on the attached device in the Earthmate software,  so you don't have to use the GPS itself to send.

James

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android