[Rhodes22-list] deck mounted chain plates

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Sun Jan 11 15:38:01 EST 2015

Richard:
This matter of deck distortion is an excellent point. But unless my boat is
unique, all of the R22s have their lower (or "inner") shrouds attached to
the cabin top. Does this distort the deck? Yes it does. Because of some trim
I put on the forward bulkhead I could see the space between the bulkhead and
the cabin top widen perhaps as much as half an inch when on a heel. I just
figured that was normal for these boats.
I have strengthened the cabin sides by filling the hollow core with plywood
and epoxy. See photo. At the time I intended to use strap chainplates bolted
to the cabin sides. Now, because of how I intend to redo the windows that
plan had to be abandoned but presumably the new core will still strengthen
the overall structure.

Graham Stewart
gstewart8 at cogeco.ca
613 389-1737