[Rhodes22-list] Chain plates and loos gauge.

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Mon Jan 12 12:49:13 EST 2015

The original question about what the maximum load would be on lower shroud
chainplates while in use has morphed into a discussion of how much tension
the rig should be set to when the rig is properly tuned. Those are very
different questions as clearly the tension under rest would be much less
than the tension when heeling in a blow. I want chainplates that would
handle the maximum stress that the rig might face, but I have no intention
to tune  my rig to those excessive pressures.

According to my ancient R22 manual for a standard non-furling mast, the goal
of tuning is to have rig where the mast is perpendicular, straight and where
there is no slack in the jib. The upper shrouds are intended to make the
mast perpendicular while the intent of the lower shrouds are to straighten
the mast once the upper shrouds are adjusted.

If one over-tightens the upper shrouds, then the tension required to
straighten the mast with the lower shrouds would increase substantially.
So, the question is how much tension should be set on the outer shrouds? My
habit was to have sufficient tension that when heeling the lee shrouds are
not excessively slack and the mast remains relatively perpendicular to the
deck. Every time the upper shrouds are adjusted, the lower ones need to be
adjusted as well so using repeated sea trials in heavy winds to get it right
could be a long and tedious process.

While I would be reluctant to use the tension gauge to set the tension
initially, I think it saves some sea trials to measure the tension on the
upper shrouds once the rig is properly tuned and then use that measure as a
starting point when setting the rig in the future. At least that seems
plausible to me.

Graham