[Rhodes22-list] Soul of the sole

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Thu Jan 15 20:09:51 EST 2015

Graham,

I don't think any quality boat builder has ever bonded a fiberglass hull to
stringers with epoxy.  Stringers are rigid, fiberglass hulls are flexible.
Since epoxy cannot absorb flex, the hull would be prone to crack along the
edges of the stringers bonded with epoxy.

Another caveat on epoxy is using it to coat wood.  Anything that keeps
water out, keeps water in.  If you coat stringers with epoxy, you will need
to follow the same sealing protocol when drilling holes into epoxied
stringers as you do with the wood cored deck.  It would be more convenient
to coat your new stringers with a bilge primer/sealer.

Rick