[Rhodes22-list] Jerk to Inflate

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Tue Jun 2 07:30:32 EDT 2015

Chris,
And just when I thought I had heard every conceivable way to screw up
story. (or done it myself)

Rummy

In a message dated 6/2/2015 1:14:13 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org writes:

Premature inflation, a terrible curse.  I knew this guy that  was anchored
in the Bahamas when a squall rolled through and the boat was  in what he
thought was 10 feet of water.  All of a sudden there is a  bang and the the
keel is shoved up through the hull so far that it kicked  up the steep
down.  Disaster. But a quick inspection showed no  water.  A further
inspection did find a fully inflated PFD jammed up  under the stepdown.  I
don't store my, I mean he doesn't store his  self inflating PFD's under
there anymore.

Chris  Geankoplis
Enosis

On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 8:22 AM, The Rhodes 22  Email List <
rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org> wrote:

>  Chris,
> Great story and thanks for sharing.  I just bought new  auto inflate
> jackets with the jerk to inflate pulls.  I, too, was  concerned about
> accidently pulling the pull cord.  Now the story  I don't want to tell is
> how I jumped in the lake to go swimming with  the jacket on and having it
go
> off because I forgot to remove  it....
>
> Rob Lowe

List
> Sent: Monday, June 01, 2015 9:57 AM
> To:  rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
> Subject: [Rhodes22-list] Jerk to  Inflate
>
> A guy I know went out sailing on the Potomac River  Sunday heading into a
> steady 12 knot head wind with building seas  reefed 130 jib and reefed
main.
> Single handed and getting jostled  around abit he thought it prudent to
put
> on his offshore Mustang self  inflatable life vest purchased from
WestMarine