[Rhodes22-list] Newbie

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Mon Jun 15 09:59:16 EDT 2015

Many thanks to Jerry and his "Country Rhodes".    I had a good sail, and a great first impression of the Rhodes 22.    Jerry, your generosity with stick time allowed me to appreciate her nice manners, the fickle winds provided plenty of challenge.    I look forward to meeting Stan this week, and will begin looking for a boat as work schedule allows.    Stan, you owe Jerry a discount next time he needs a part, he is good advertising!
For the next guy stumbling across this archives while searching for boat options, a few observations:
The cockpit is very nice for daysailing guests.   With the pop top up, the whole boat feels inviting.    The Bimini makes a great shield against pop up summer rains, as well as sun protection.  I had thought it was a luxury only needed for the poor heathens sentenced to sailing in the tropics.    The lack of a visible centerboard well (its hidden under the sole) makes cockpit and cabin both feel bigger. The rigging is designed to facilitate movement for non gymnasts.   There is nothing to trip over on the cockpit sole,its easy to get to the fore-deck for reservoir sailors, possible in a chop.
Sailing manners are polite and forgiving.   With a bit of muscle memory (winches and traveler are refinements to me) a solo skipper will have no more trouble then I do in a dingy.   The incredible stability means you don't have to jump near as much when the wind shifts.   It is much less physically demanding then a Buccaneer 18.   Everything seems to happen a bit more slowly.    Time on the water will much more approximate total available time, since folding / rolling sails and tearing down rigging is minimal (Jerry can get everything stored and tidied up while the boat idles down his marina channel).    The weather window almost doubles for a solo skipper.
The boat does feel big.   My impression is despite the reduced freeboard (Phillip Rhodes  didn't cram a coffin cot under the cockpit) the boat felt similar in size to a Macgregor 26 S and much more substantial then a Catalina 22.   Though (as expected) the advertising photos make the cabin look like a stateroom, the tapered seat and open passageway allow a person or even two to move around without difficulty.    To my surprise, the side decks didn't force a neck kink when sitting on the bench.  This is a couples boat, for a couple that still likes each other.   Most of her comps marketed themselves by the number of berths available for Amish families.
The lazarette is not as deep as in the Macgregor 26, but the usable space is similar since Mac sailors are not endowed with longer arms then the rest of us.    The galley can hold enough camping gear for a couple people.    Under seat storage minimizes the need to move the extra life jackets and such collecting  on the cushions.   Sail bags are unnecessary.
Since the only boat I have seen is 30 years old, quality is obviously good.   I cannot comment on factory finish until I see  a newer one.
Alex ColeUrbana, Ohio