[Rhodes22-list] propane outboard motor

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Mon Mar 23 16:33:21 EDT 2015

I like the idea of the propane outboard.  I have researched it and when my trusty tohatsu gives up the ghost i am going to get one.
I would buy a fiberglass tank and on the rhodes i would build in a propane locker in the aft lazarette with its own above waterline through-hull at the bottom of the locker to dump fumes overboard at the stern (outside the cockpit).
Propane is heavier than air and mightily explosive when it leaks.  I wouldnt want a cockpit full of it going off.
Modern catamarans build in propane lockers that are outboard and aft.
I would keep a propane alarm in the cabin and cockpit lazarette just in case as well.
I am sure there are many interesting opinions out there.

Bob (palatka)