[Rhodes22-list] Wanna Be with questions

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Thu Mar 26 09:20:28 EDT 2015

Alex

I will weigh in with the old Rhodes 22 thoughts. I am a recent Rhodes owner. I bought a 1974 out of a barn last year. I spent 4 months taking every fitting, nut and bolt off and repairing or replacing it as well as completly restoring all the wood and interior to the bare hull so I have a pretty good idea how it was built.This boat had been mostly in fresh water, but did quite a bit of Southern California  near shore to Catalina and Sea of Cortez extended cruising. Mine does not have all the bells and whistles but I can trailer it anywhere with a Nissan Frontier pickup, rig it, launch it and sail it single handed. I am 6'4" which helps standing up and laying down the mast. The cockpit is big, dry and comfortable. Nothing is in the way so you can get from bow to stern easily in big chop and bad weather. Mine has a conventional main and jib but again I have no issues single handling. I have not been in a big blow or huge waves yet but the lakes in Arizona have very unpredictable strong gusts of wind and get big confused chop quickly. I have never felt uncomfortable or unsafe.There is a ton of storage and the swing keel is a breeze to use. I have sailed over 50 years in various oceans and boats around the world.
I think the comparison to a big old Mercedes may be true. Mine sails well in very light air, handles big gusts safely. It responds and acclerates well. Not a race car but a good all around dry and responsive sailboat. I like mine!

Fred Haag

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S® 5 ACTIVE™, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone