[Rhodes22-list] Wanna Be with questions

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Thu Mar 26 10:23:15 EDT 2015

Alex,

Welcome to the Rhodes journey. Like you, I took this journey in the Fall of 2012. Long story short, I picked up my recycled 1991 boat from Stan in March 2013 at the Plant in Edenton. It's one of the best decisions I ever made. Stan is a legend and a first class guy. He won't steer you wrong. Like one of the other guys told me, you might feel like you are taking a leap of faith.

This email list is priceless. Your fellow Rhodies are good people. I recommend searching the list for topics of interest. We have covered lots of topics over the years and the conversation tends to be very lively.

Setup and launch of this awesome boat can be done singlehanded. I've done it many many many times including New Hampshire, Boston Harbor, Edenton NC, and Florida. Stan's mast raising system is worth its weight in gold. Here are a few videos you might enjoy.

Video of ramp launch at General Boats Edenton, NC:  https://youtu.be/-0ov9xDLnwk
Video of singlehanded mast stepping and rigging: https://youtu.be/x99Q7RJGERM

I can't compare this boat to any others as this is my first sailboat, but she is very easy to jump in the boat and be underway in just a few minutes. I have the IMF main with a 130 roller fulling genoa and I wouldn't trade it for the world. The 175 may be better suited for your conditions. (see archives).

I highly recommend the recycled boats from General Boats. Stan and his guys go thru them with a fine tooth comb. It was very hard to tell the difference between my 1991 recycled and a new boat with some very minor exceptions. The recycled boats are about half of the cost of a new hull. However, if you have the resources nothing beats a brand new boat!

https://youtu.be/KHMTuhTS2Go?list=UUi_uqKX3SGGZ52Not8-SGrA

Cheers,
Ted

S/v Airpower