[Rhodes22-list] Wanna Be with questions

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Thu Mar 26 11:31:10 EDT 2015

Wow. I am impressed. Congratulations!

Graham Stewart

-----Original Message-----
From: rhodes22-list-bounces at rhodes22.org [mailto:rhodes22-list-bounces at rhodes22.org] On Behalf Of The Rhodes 22 Email List
Sent: March-26-15 10:38 AM
To: The Rhodes 22 Email List
Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Wanna Be with questions

I live outside of Phoenix and we have good weather everyday so that helps.  I had the framework of some interior parts and just made the rest based on pictures or ideas. I had some help from my daughter to redo the bow windows and the screws and bolts I could not get to or hold. The topdeck to hull joint was in pretty good shape and the rubrail was there, so I just cleaned and  recaulked the joint and re pop riveted the rubrail. The hull was in good shape but the thru hulls were heat or age damaged so I replaced them all. Feral cats had been living in it for 10 years so the smell was unbelievable. Multiple pressure washes and gallons of Pinesol finally killed that smell. I used what interior wood that was left for templates and winged the rest through trial and error. Lots and lots of trials and errors. It had sat on a trailer for 14 years and some of the stringers were rotted or missing so I had to lift the hull off the trailer and let it relax back  into shape where the bunks had deformed the hull. After I fixed the stringers and replaced the flooring I rebuilt the bunks and lengthened them to better conform to the hull shape. Some cabin and cockpit cushions were there so I just used them for templates.The worst part was the genoa track and transom stanchions had been installed stainless screws and steel nuts with no washers. That was a challenge to get to when I replaced the screws. I put refiberglassed doublers inside along with fender washers so everything is very solid now. I am a semi retired workaholic that was bored with time on my hands. I still need to finish some deck gelcoat repairs and have to find something to replace the interior window trim plastic rings but that does not keep me from sailing. I keep tweaking the rigging and hardware on the lakes here. Then I am heading down  to the Sea of Cortez, before taking it to Mobile Bay in the fall to sail with my kids.

Fred Haag