[Rhodes22-list] Wanna Be with questions

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Fri Mar 27 15:20:02 EDT 2015

Graham,

Thank you for showing me I am not the only one with restoration problems.
Mine did go quickly but my restoration was not to the magnitude of yours, although I did waste a lot of time as I
created, removed and recreated the wheel on numerous occasions.
In my case my hull and bottom paint were  good. Not much seagrowth sitting  in 100 degree sunshine and barns well over 10 years. The topside is a work in progress and at some point I will be happy with the gel coat and fiberglass repairs I am doing and remove all the hardware again and paint it.  The deck to hull joint was ok. It just needed recaulking and the rub rail installed. I have done a few self engineered redneck modifications to make a easier single handed sailor out of her but have had some luck as well. In a 1974 I have a old style keel and I was actually able to figure out a way to repair the sheaves and rereave the control line through a 2 x 3 inch opening in the top and redo the swing pin from the trailer. I discovered I had minor rot under the mast plate when I  dropped the mast across my neighbors grapefruit tree as the mast plate screws pulled out when I tried to take the mast down for the first time by myself. I opened up the top in a small area, repaired the rot and fiberglassed in a new increased thickness doubler plate, without much forthought I might add. I was very proud of my work but discovered my error in not compensating for the increase 3\4 "  height of the mast mounting plate and adjusting the stays when I could not stand the mast up the first time at the lake. I can honestly say it is a touchy situation when you are by yourself and are stuck with a mast about 80 degrees in the air that you can not raise or lower. Fortunately when it fell that time I caught in on the way down. As I said before it is not beautiful but I concentrated on safety,  comfort, sailing ability, single handed methods and reliability.
It suits my needs well, so far.
Fred Haag

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S® 5 ACTIVE™, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone