[Rhodes22-list] Cabin Roof Plate

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Thu May 7 15:24:48 EDT 2015

Christopher,
Boy, talk about waiting a long time to get baptized. What took you so  long?

Rummy

In a message dated 5/4/2015 10:59:37 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org writes:

Thanks.  My blunder is limited to the Cabin Roof Plate, so  far, that the
hoist crane attaches to  and your advice to drill out the  screw holes and
fill with epoxy sound good.

Details:

READ  THE INSTRUCTIONS!  Ok, I have had my boat for five years and had the
mast  up and down a few times so I figured this would be a 20 minute
exercise to  lower the mast for some mast top maintenance.  The mast crane that
came  with my boat has a bale on it to connect the line with shackles to the
bale on  the mast.  The crane currently on my boat was apparently replaced
during  a visit to the plant with a different crane that does not have a bale
rather  two connection points for the turnbuckles of the two aft lower
shrouds.   I have never lowered the mast with the shroud method before so I simply
 clipped one end of the line with shackles to the bow cleat and the other
end  to the crane and then connected the crane line to the mast bale.  That
is  backwards from the instructions I failed to read.  The mast came down but
 pulled the crane base plate out of the cabin top and the mast decided to
go 45  degrees to port.  I managed to pull the mast back to center and lower
it  then realized two more blunders.  I remembered to disconnect the sliding
 hatch but failed to close the hatch and failed to move the slider up the
mast.  My sliding hatch now has some crunched fiberglass to remind me to
close the hatch next time.  The final error was not having sufficient  length
in the lower forward shrouds that get the chains.  Wrong chain  position and
or not having the turnbuckle open enough.  The result was  some very tight
shrouds that bent the top of the chain plates.  So after  five years of
boating without any major screw ups I suppose this makes me an  official Rhodie!

Christopher P. Cowie

4400  MacArthur Blvd, NW
Suite 300
Washington, DC 20007
202.342.2711 ex.204  ● 202.342.2691 fax ● 202.270.1470  mobile
[ccowie at cowieassociates.com]

Please consider the  environment before printing this email.