[Rhodes22-list] Thermoelectric cooler

The Rhodes 22 Email List rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org
Sun May 17 15:04:47 EDT 2015

Susan,
If you read the small print on most of that type of cooler, they will only
cool things 40 degrees below ambient temperature. So, if the outside
temperature  is 90 degrees, they will keep things at 50 degrees. In my opinion,
they aren't  worth it. You would be further ahead with a marine
refrigerator/freezer (A good  Norcold unit is about $1,000.00) or purchase a super
efficient ice  chest. I use the ice box that came in the R22 back in 1988 and it
does an  adequate job. I find I go through several bags of ice each day, but
then I'm  pouring a lot of mixed drinks and keeping water and  soda cooled
for guests. I break up one bag and empty it into the ice container  on the
bottom. The second bag of ice is left in the bag and placed on top of the
first bag and that is what I draw ice for drinks from. Soda and water are mixed
in with the first bag of ice. Sometimes I throw a soft sided cooler  on
board to stow extra ice. This combination usually lasts the day.
A few years ago I used vodka to winterize my water tank. Needless to say we
 had an almost endless supply of vodka that summer. Perhaps I shouldn't
have  filled the tank.
You boat has the "improved" version of the IMF sail with the batten. The
batten IS necessary and should be purchased only from General Boats. A call
to  the factory will work (sometimes) when an email won't.

Rummy

In a message dated 5/17/2015 1:18:57 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,